History

The Potsdam Model Basin (SVA) is part of a more than 120-year tradition of ship and hydraulic engineering and scientific research and development in Berlin-Brandenburg. As a result of the 2nd World War and the division of Germany, the SVA was established. The predecessor of SVA was the “Königlichen Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau und Schiffbau” (VWS), founded 1903 in Berlin. The foundation of the SVA in Potsdam began as part of the hydraulic division of VWS in Potsdam-Marquardt at Sacrow-Paretz-Canal in 1953. Since 1955, towing tests and diverse scientific work for the shipbuilding industry have been carried out at SVA.

The following documents provide an insight into the history of the SVA:

  • Darstellung der Geschichte der Schiffbau-Versuchsanstalt Potsdam
  • Henschke, W., „Entwurf, Bau, Einrichtungen, Aufgaben und Einweihung der neuen Schiffbau-Versuchsanstalt in Marquardt bei Potsdam“, Schiffbautechnik, Heft 5, Mai 1955
  • Knieß, H.-G., „90 Jahre Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau“, Mitteilungsblatt der Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau (1993) Nr. 70
  • SVA items Nr. 8, „Jubiläumsausgabe – 50 Jahre SVA“, …
  • Mehmel, M., „60 Jahre Schiffbau-Versuchsanstalt Potsdam oder wie alles anfing“, …

Short Outline of the History of the SVA Potsdam:

Origin of the SVA]
  • 07.07.1903 – Establishment of the „Königliche Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau und Schiffbau” in Berlin
  • 1918 – Renamed „Preußische Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau und Schiffbau” (VWS)
  • 1919 – Allocation of a 21-hectare site belonging to the county of Bornim, district Marquardt (Sacrow-Paretz-Canal)
  • ab 1926 – Carrying out of hydraulic engineering experiments
  • 1938 – Renamed ” Versuchsanstalt für Wasser-, Erd- und Schiffbau ” (VWES)
  • 1943 – Destruction or damage to the equipment of VWS by bombing
  • 1945 – Establishment of the “Forschungsanstalt für Schifffahrt, Wasser- und Grundbau“ (FAS) by the Soviet Military Administration
  • 1952 – Establishment of a research center for towing tests within the office of “Hochseeschiffbau” in Berlin-Karlshorst
Potsdam Model Basin Potsdam (SVA) in the Institut für Schiffbau Rostock and in the VEB Kombinat Rostock – Stammbetrieb
  • 12.08.1953 – Groundbreaking for the Potsdam Model Basin in Potsdam-Marquardt
  • 22.12.1954 – Official opening ceremony
  • 21.01.1955 – First regular towing test in the 80 m channel
  • Mai 1956 – First propulsion test with cable-carriage
  • Januar 1958 – First propulsion test with towing carriage
  • Oktober 1958 – Commissioning of the extended to 280 m towing tank
  • 1964 – Installation of a wave machine for regular swell
  • 1966 – Installation of a larger towing carriage
  • 1969 – Installation of the computer ODRA 1204 / Application of numerical methods
  • 11.10.1971 – Commissioning of the cavitation tunnel K15A type from Kempf & Remmers
  • ab 1984 – Use of the LDV measurement technique
  • 1986 – Installation of a new towing carriage
  • 1988 – Commissioning of the RKA building
  • 1989 – 1990 – Establishing of the wax model production, Commissioning of the model milling machine from Kempf & Remmers
The Schiffbau-Versuchsanstalt Potsdam (SVA) as GmbH
  • 01.06.1990 – Conversion of the SVA into a Limited Liability Company
  • 14.09.1991 – Honorary Conference for the 85th birthday of Dr. Henschke
  • 07.12.1991 – Inaugural meeting of the Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Schiffbau-Versuchsanstalt Potsdam GmbH (GzFdSVA)
  • 12.03.1992 – Founding of the “Verband innovativer Unternehmen e.V.” with SVA as a founding member
  • März 1993 – Privatisation of SVA through an management-buy-out
  • 19.05.1993 – Certification of non-profit status by the Tax Office Potsdam City
  • 02.03.1995 – First SVA – Forum
  • 14.02.1996 – Certification of QM System by GL
  • 2001 – Installation Planar Motion System from Hydronautics Research Inc. for the investigation of deeply submerged bodies
  • 2004 – Acquisition of roughness measurement system from TU Berlin
  • 13.12.2004 – Establishing the SVAtech GmbH
  • ab 2006 – Production of models by means of CNC machines
  • 31.01.2008 – First research forum „Theoria cum Praxi“
  • 25.05.2010 – Groundbreaking for a new office building
  • 2010 – Installation of a 5-axis CNC milling machine model
  • 26.01.2011 – Opening of the new office building
  • 2011 – Installation CNC waterjet cutting system
  • 2011 – 2014 – Modernisation of model production / Reconstruction of workshops
  • 2012 – 2013 – Establishing a new process control of the cavitation tunnel and towing tank
  • 2014 – Commissioning of a 3D printer, integration of a 3D scanner in the model production

Please enable JavaScript! To use the SVA-Website, please enable JavaScript