Resistance And Propulsion
In the very early stages of a project, speed predictions can be calculated from comparison with similar ships or with empirical methods.
Exact performance predictions are produced by means of viscous calculation methods (CFD). CFD calculations are also the basis for form optimisation and development of ship lines, the optimisation of appendages (bilge keels, stabilising fins, shaft struts …) and the optimisation of propulsion systems.
A selection of our services includes:
- Design of ship lines
- Calculation of flow around the ship, determination of the wake field
- Optimisation calculations with potential theory and viscous methods
- Calculation of the interaction of ship, propeller and rudder with CFD methods (propulsion prediction)
- Power prediction by means of empirical methods and comparison of similar ships
- Manufacturing of models
- Resistance tests (single and multi-hull vessels, displacement and planing hulls, submarines …)
- Propulsion tests (single and multi-screw ships, vessels with thrusters, podded drives, ducted propellers, Voith-Schneider propellers, waterjets, propulsion improving devices, submarines)
- Open water tests
- Wake measurements, colour and filament testing